Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

What OTHER seemingly benign substance could I possibly be sensitive to??!!!

So, I'm allergic to water, we know that already.  Just when I thought I had most of my sensitivities figured out (we'll get to all the others some other time), I find a new one, or rather, it found me. This one sounds almost as ridiculous as being allergic to water...........(drum roll please)...........I'm allergic to SALT!  Again, not all salt, but something specific about certain salts.  I already knew that I couldn't tolerate iodized table or sea salt because when the iodine is added to the salt, it is bound to the salt with something called dextrose, which is another name for corn syrup.  I LOATHE CORN SYRUP because it makes me depressed & causes me pain!!  I've used regular Alessi (non-iodized) sea salt for years with no problems.  Recently I read about all of the benefits & vital nutrients in Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.  I truly believe that this is a superior salt, I just wish my body agreed.  I started using it about mid march.  After a couple of weeks, I noticed that my heel was really hurting badly & my feet & legs started swelling with water retention.   After 3-4 days of it worsening, I had to look at anything new that I had added to my diet & that pink salt was the only thing.  I immediately switched to Celtic Sea Salt, another salt that has many more nutrients than regular sea salt.  My fluid retention improved a little, and for a couple of days, the pain was a little better.  But by the 3rd day, I could hardly walk on my heel.  The pain was so acute, that I would yell upon standing.  Again, I knew it was the salt.  I had to suffer though a couple more days until I could get my old salt at the store.  A couple of days after starting back using my old faithful brand of sea salt,  the water retention went away and the pain had improved by about 70%.  It took a few more for it to go all the way away.  Unfortunately, I didn't remember that I used the Celtic sea salt in the frozen chicken broth that I used for dinner a couple of nights ago & started the whole thing over again.  The pain in my heel is starting to go away again & now to find someone to give that last quart of chicken broth to.  I hate to waste it, but I'm NOT going to go through this AGAIN!!!

As my friend Marilyn told me, I'm starring in my own version of "The Princess and the Pea"!!

Edited to add:  The reaction to these salts also included my hair falling out in much larger amounts than is normal. That also stopped when I stopped the salts.

1 comment:

  1. How bizarre... I wonder if its just that its been around the earth so much. Theres a reason that pink salt is pink.. i not sure what it is though.. i dont know much about salt, but if i think of the fact that plants in different areas of the earth absorb different nutrients, that sources for salt must have the same thing, in that the alkalinity of everything may be different in different parts of the world. Maybe its something like sulphur- gives me something to think about, anyway. Its interesting that you got PAIN from it, and in a distinct place. Isnt it strange when feet hurt because of something we eat?
    I'm glad you know of a brand that work for you though!! at least you HAVE that knowledge of a safe salt :)
    see you on delphi!

    ReplyDelete