Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

How did I come up with the name for my blog?

Being allergic to water would seem like a ridiculous concept to most people, but not me.  My kids and I are actually allergic to water!  Well, not EXACTLY water itself, but certain components of different waters.  This was one of the 1st allergy/sensitivities that I identified in my older son "Red" who is now 9 years old.  When he was 1 1/2 years old, he had HORRIBLE eczema.  It was so bad in spots that it appeared he had been burned with acid.  Everywhere his body fluids (saliva, stool, urine, sweat, tears) touched, he had these raw spots.  On his bottom, wherever his stool would touch, sometimes there would be large white blisters, the size of half dollars & would have spots of blood as if he had been pricked repeatedly with a pin.  He sucked his thumb, so his thumb, wrist and chin, would have these "burned" places as well.
Fortunately I knew about a wonderful pediatrician here in Georgia by the name of Dr. Leila Denmark.  She was my husband's pediatrician when he was a child.  She had just retired, at 103 years old, when I had my son, so we were not fortunate enough to have her for his pediatrician.  I was fortunate enough however, to have had a book that she wrote, with all of her advice in it, as well as one written with her help, by a patient.  She also still took phone calls, so I was able to call her on many occasions throughout the last few years for guidance.  Anyway, her advice was to look at what he was eating/drinking.  Per her advice, I never gave him juice, so that wasn't a culprit to consider.  Once weaned, I only gave him spring water to drink, but used tap water to mix in his cereal & to cook homemade babyfood with.  He was still on baby food, some store bought, some homemade.  After looking at ingredients, I saw that the baby food fruit had something called citric acid added to it.  I did a search & found that it is made from corn and decided to eliminate the jarred fruit 1st.  There was a little improvement in the rashes, but not much.  Since I saw some improvement from removing the corn based citric acid, I did a search on other corn derivatives & found that the rice cereal that I was giving him had several, so I eliminated it next.  Still, a little more improvement, but the rashes were still present.
While the rashes were still present, but had improved some, we went to visit my sister in Kentucky.  We used GA mountain spring water at home because we had home delivery, but didn't have that kind in KY, so I bought some bottles of Aquafina (purified water) for him to drink, thinking all bottled waters were the same.  His rashes went crazy!  I didn't realize what the trigger was at the time, but he had red raw patches everywhere.  It was hard for me to enjoy our visit, because all I could worry about was that something was wrong with my baby, and it was getting worse each day!  I tried bathing him in baking soda, oatmeal & just plain water to no avail.  This was the 1st time that the large white blisters with blood spots had shown up on his bottom as well.  I was freaked!  Anyway, once we got back home from the visit, he started improving within a couple of days.  Then I realized that that was a clue & something made me think about the water.  Tap water was the only thing on my radar at that point because I was assuming my sisters water had a higher content of chlorine & other chemicals, so that was why he got worse.  I eliminated all tap water & only cooked with GA mtn. spring water and only gave him that to drink.  Along with having eliminated all corn derivatives, and only giving him foods that I prepared, his rashes/raw spots completely disappeared!!
The next time he got the blisters on his bottom & red rashed circles under his eyes, was when we didn't take enough Crystal Springs mtn. spring water to the lake with us & again bought purified water (Aquafina & Dasani), Within 2 days of drinking this water, the blisters showed up on his bottom, everywhere his stool touched.  Apparently there was still enough chemicals present in the purified waters, to affect him.  These waters also have minerals added for taste that also might not agree with his system.  They made his body fluids very acidic to the point they "burned him".  As soon as I saw this, I flashed back to our trip to KY with the Aquafina & realized that was the blister trigger.
I know this is getting long & thank you if you've made it this far.  This is all for my documentation purposes as well, so I don't forget.
So, now I know to only give "Red" spring water.  No tap water & No purified waters, and on a trip to the beach realized that he absolutely could only tolerate mountain spring water because he had the same blister reaction from natural spring waters from Florida & Pennsylvania springs.  Strange, but true.  There must be minerals or some other component of those waters, that aren't in the mtn. waters.  He also can't swim in chemically chlorinated pools.  He gets horrible sinus which can turn to asthma, really bad behavior issues & a bumpy rash all over his body.  Fortunately my brother in law has a salt water pool that we can use & we also go to the lake & beach, which he does fine with.
The moral of this long, long story is that anyone can be allergic/sensitive to anything.  Be willing to question EVERYTHING, to find a solution to a health problem.  There is ALWAYS a cause, you just have to be willing to keep looking until you find it!

2 comments:

  1. bodily fluids would burn him....oh, that makes so much more sense. I need to change my water up.
    *hugs* you may have saved some of my sanity, and my body thank you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Nikki! Allergy itself makes the body more acidic. Hopefully the water is all that you need, but be willing to explore further if it's not. Let me know if it helps! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete